Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Editor: 1, Bug: Love

I started taking tennis lessons with three friends last night. An uninvited guest joined us--my editor. Usually he sits on my shoulder only when I'm writing, but apparently he's branching out.

I haven't played tennis in a serious way for about 20 years, when I quit lessons because my little brother got to be better than me. So I was a little rusty, and the editor wouldn't let me forget it. "The instructor said to keep your elbow straight!" he yelled as I lobbed a ball into the net. "And keep your feet moving!"

I was so caught up in these negative comments that it barely registered when my friend Mary said, "You're doing great! Your backhand is amazing!"

I looked around. Who, me?

I played well the rest of the night, but more importantly I had fun and got Mr. Editor to shut the F up. Now if only Mary could come over to watch me write, every once in a while shouting, "Great job! Look at those sentences!" Best Blogger Tips

9 comments:

papyrus said...

Yes, I guess we all need encouragement like that at times. Sounds like your editor is a bit of a bore though.

DJPare said...

Can I borrow this Mary?
And where are you playing tennis around here, now??

January said...

Wouldn't it be nice to have a round of applause after writing a great sentence?

Writer Bug said...

Papyrus: aren't all self-editors bores? Or is mine particularly bad?

Don, we're taking lessons at a health club in Dedham. One of the fancy ones that's way too expensive to actually join... Though I did look up city courts adn there are some in Charlestown that are indoors. Do you play?

Jan: seriously! we should make a doll that does that.

TI said...

Thanks for the reminder -- my editor has been really at me lately!

GoGo said...

bring the tennis racket and ball to your next writing meeting and just hold them. Look at the editor with deviant intent while s/he wonders why you have them, then say, "I've been working on the back swing, want to see."

Repeater said...

Love this little gem!

Question, though, how in the world do you find time for tennis??

Writer Bug said...

Good idea Gogo! I doubt my editor would much like bodily harm... Repeater, LOL, I find myself asking the same thing about you and TI and FC when I read about your schedules.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bug...

When my roommate was finishing her MFA thesis a couple of years ago, I drew the Thesis Dominatrix for her. She had a bullwhip, fishnets, and an ugly attitude to silence that editor whenever he reared his evil head. Perhaps you'd like to invite her to play with you, too?