Saturday, July 19, 2008

Sending out--eek


So I'm going to put some final touches on a story and send it out tomorrow/Monday. I sca-red!

Anyone have a system for figuring out which journals to send to?I need to make a list. I looked at some journals in a bookstore and made note of a few that seemed to publish stuff that I liked. I guess I'll start there? I'm not sure how big to aim. I mean, do you send your stuff to the New Yorker on the off chance that miracle upon miracle someone likes it?

Any feedback would be lovingly appreciated.
Best Blogger Tips

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for you on being ready to submit!

When I submit, I try to pick three journals that publish stuff similar to mine, and within those three I choose one "reach" publication--Glimmer Train, Story, etc. The New Yorker would definitely count!!

Good luck!

Writer Bug said...

THanks Erin. Good advice!

Idiot Cook said...

I say send to as many places as you can stand in one sitting. Reaches, safeties, whatever. I use an Excel spreadsheet to keep track. And I also use the back pages of Best American Short Stories and Essays as places to submit to. I do a combo of places that accept email queries and those that accept snail mail. And yeah, send to The New Yorker. You just never know (and you certainly won't know if you don't send).

Writer Bug said...

Thanks RB. Also good advice! I'm so glad I have people to turn to!