Sunday, March 18, 2007

F*ck inspiration

I stole the title of my post from Poetmom, with whom I had a late lunch today and who is an inspiration unto herself. I agree 100% with her Sunday Scribbling post today on the topic of inspiration.

I think that if we sit around waiting to be anointed with inspiration, we'll get very little work done. Plus, what do you do while waiting to be inspired? I'm most likely to start doing something useful, but not inspirational--like cleaning or calling one of the friends with whom I don't keep in touch well enough.

Writing--even when I don't have an ounce of inspiration in me--inspires me. It's like exercise that way. I may not realize that my arms are getting stronger while I'm lifting weights, I may in fact hate the act of lifting weights. But the next time I go to try those muscles, the lifting will be a little easier. Best Blogger Tips

6 comments:

TI said...

I love it. Poet Mom's was the only ss I commented on because it made so much sense. Great weight training analogy.

January said...

Okay, truth be told, I get my inspiration from you and Erin. I am in awe of your amazing talent!

You're the BEST!

Unknown said...

I love this attitude!
And how true...if we always waited around for inspiration...well many of us would still be waiting.
I am so glad to have found your blog and can't wait to do back reading through your archives!

Repeater said...

Amen, sister. Now get to work! (that directive is aimed toward myself)

rroberts said...

Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close, Painter

DJPare said...

I agree!
It's energy and time that I need lately, not inspiration...

And I'm going to have to check out those arms next time I see you! :)