Monday, August 21, 2006

Why long, lonely, boring drives are good for a writer

Despite my not actually putting a pen to paper all weekend, I did manage to think through some of the major problems of my story. I like how my mentor defined a crisis point as a character getting to a point where she doesn't think she has any options except one-- one that causes other issues to develop. I was thinking about that as I drove to NY and I realized--Eureka!--Susan needs to get to a point in thinking about this stuff with her mom where she needs to call her husband and talk about it. He's the only person outside her blood family who knows her parents and her well enough to "get" the situation. And having to turn to him will help her realize why a marital relationship is important enough to fight for.

PS-- I hope to do a belated Sunday Scribbling today

PPS--A short story contest announcement here. Best Blogger Tips

2 comments:

DJPare said...

I agree! Long drives are great for that! I had some ideas for my online short story during my 2.5 drive from the mountains...
And don't lie - Chloe came up with your idea... ;)

Idiot Cook said...

I absolutely get some of my best ideas while driving...so glad you had a break through!