Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Learning

I feel like I'm really getting somewhere with my story. More than that, I feel like I'm really getting somewhere with my writing. First semester the most important thing I learned was what a real story was--that it showed movement of a discernable sort and that it was made up of scenes that built on one another and had true purposes. (I probably knew these basic things somewhere, but I didn't know them, if you know what I mean.)

This semester I'm learning a ton about how to bring out theme in a story, how to use details to build up that theme in interesting ways. And I feel like I can see a serious progression in the strength of my pieces from the first ones I handed in last June to this last one I'm working on now (with a serious blip in there to mark the crap that was the first story I handed in this semester).

So, kudos to me. Hah. Just kidding. But I am pretty amazed with how much I'm learning from this program. I should be an advertisement for Lesley College. Best Blogger Tips

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Being able to see progress is so motivating abd exciting. It also lets you know that you made the right choice with your program.

TI said...

YOu've articulated exactly the same trajectory that I am experiencing. First semester, just get down a story. Now, closer work with themes. It's a great program. And it is SO good to hear you feeling good about your writing.

Idiot Cook said...

Yes, yes to what bostonerin and TI said. I can't wait to read one of your stories--send it my way when you're ready to share! :)

Repeater said...

Well put, bug. I was just saying close to the same thing to D, that I'm learning to structure the stories and see them in a different light. It's kind of incredible how much I didn't know.