Monday, September 17, 2007

Retreat report, backwards schedule

The retreat was wonderful! I was really worried about being silent for a whole weekend (and silence included not reading, writing, knitting or basically anything other than walking, sitting, eating, and doing bathroom stuff).

But it was easy! And pleasant. It's amazing how much I/we talk and think above and beyond what's necessary. I can't tell you how many times I had the same thought, about the same mundane things like, I'd like to find a low-calorie recipe for chocolate chip cookies...

And eating mindfully is wonderful! Food is so much more satisfying when you're actually paying attention to it instead of concentrating on what you're going to say next, etc.

Now it's back to reality, but hopefully a more mindful one. I even got up 10 minutes early for a brief meditation this morning. And that's saying a lot since I had to leave the house at 6:45.

One part of being back to reality is getting back on track with my MFA work. Here's my newest backwards schedule:

October 8: Submission due. Write letter to Tony, mail packet.

Oct 1-7: Add in new sections/revisions to the electronic version of the story.
Write about the new Lorrie Moore stories in essay form.

September 24-30: Journal/free write about the areas I marked up in previous week.
Read second Lorrie Moore story, take detailed notes.

September 17-24: Read over story I'm revising, mark up hard copy as to major things to change/explore/expand. Close read one Lorrie Moore story, take detailed notes.

This month is going to be a little tight timewise... I think I gave myself too much of a break by not working last week or this weekend. Oh well. Pedal to the metal now! Best Blogger Tips

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe you didn't talk for a whole weekend! That's amazing!

Repeater said...

Well worth the break, I imagine. You'll be completely rejuvinated & centered for your story. Sounds excellent.

TI said...

I'm trying to imagine what it would be like not to even read for a whole weekend. You must have really gone within!

Unknown said...

I am glad you had a wonderful retreat. I really need to be better about mindful eating, but I too easily sink my butt into the couch in front of the TV with my food...not mindful at all!

January said...

Glad you're able to take these little breaks. When you find a good low-cal recipe for CC cookies, let me know.