Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Hard work

I forgot what hard work revision is. I realized that the main problem with the story I'm working on is a very basic one: there's way too much telling, not enough scenes. So now revision really means writing the whole thing over again.Oy . Plus, I feel kind of stupid for having made such a basic mistake in the first place, and a tad annoyed at my
mentor, who didn't point out the problem as clearly/forcefully as I would've liked.

So I'm looking forward to another frustrating evening tonight. But at least tonight we're getting our Christmas tree and Chinese food! Those will make me feel a tad better, I hope. :)
Best Blogger Tips

5 comments:

Kerry said...

Man, Christmas Tree and Chinese food? That sounds like paradise. :)

We need to hang out sometime soon!

DJPare said...

Christmas tree and Chinese food! Nothing can be frustrating on a night like that!! Have fun!

TI said...

I feel your pain. I am also revising right now. No chinese food. No christmas tree. At least not tonight. But that's a good combo for when we do the tree next weekend. Definitely. Have fun!

bostonerin said...

Warning: Optimism Ahead...

I love revising....just because you know that you're making the story *better* as you go. And now that it's done, you know where it needs to end up.

I can see why you'd be bummed that your mentor didn't point out the issue right away, but it's also a sign that you're ready to finish your program--you don't need to rely on them to help you develop your work. So maybe it's a good thing!

Writer bug said...

I know you're right Erin--I think my problem is that I get overwhelmed thinking the story needs to be perfect now that it's moving out of Shitty First Draft mode. Not exactly an easy standard to live up to!

There was an error in this gadget