Thursday, September 04, 2008

Gratitude Post #2

I'm feeling myself slipping back into my recent funk, so it's time to be grateful again.

On Monday night, I went to a reading of first-time authors at the Boston Public Library. Each writer told his/her story about getting a first book published, and then read a bit from the book. It was very inspirational--the overall message was to just work really hard. I especially appreciated one of the author's outlooks. Matthew Quick, author of The Silver Lining Playbook, said that hard work can outrun talent, that he might not be the most talent writer out there, but he sure did work hard--both to write the book, and to find an agent. I also feel that with hard work, a person can do almost anything, so it was nice to see that confirmed (did I mention his book as already been optioned for a movie??). The other writers--Amy MacKinnon and Brunonia Barry--also gave interesting talks about getting to where they were.

So, I am grateful to live near Boston and to work in the city, making it fairly easy for me to go to so many literary events. Best Blogger Tips

2 comments:

DJPare said...

Too bad that writers WITH lots of talent often have to work just as hard to find an agent and get published...

Not to sound too negative, and I am not saying that I am in either camp, but... shouldn't less talented writers have to work harder?

No, that's not what I mean or wish for. I actually wish that I didn't hear so many stories or REALLY talented writers having to work as hard as those who aren't.

Good work in an ideal world should get recognized easier!

Writer Bug said...

I hear ya. That would be fair. But alas...