Tuesday, February 12, 2008

More audio, an update

I've been a bad blogger. Mostly because I haven't had much to say. I do have some pictures to share, but that whole plugging-the-camera-into-the-computer thing seems like something I just don't have the time for.

So instead, I bring you a link to Harvard Book Store's Audio page, where you can hear authors like Steven King, Barbara Kingsolver, and Richard Russo read and discuss their work. (I'm going to see Charles Baxter speak there tonight. Hopefully they'll put the audio of that up at some point.) Another good literary thing to listen to while I knit!

And as my blog title promised, I also bring you this update: I'm still plugging away at revising Northern Exile (the second of the five stories I'm revising this semester for my thesis). It's going a little slower than I'd like, but it's moving. I decided I will send it to Advisor on Friday No Matter What, so hopefully a firm deadline will get my little fingers moving.

I've been doing morning pages (journaling) and that has really helped me work through some of the problems in each of my stories. I highly recommend freewriting about the issues you're having in your poems/stories/novel/essays. It seems a little odd that writing about your writing might help, but it really does! Something about writing in a journal (ie not having the problematic work staring you in the face) releases enough pressure for your brain to work out whatever needs to be fixed. Best Blogger Tips

4 comments:

TI said...

You have great story titles. "Northern Exile" -- good one! We're in the midst of a major snowfall right now and I've jsut decided to take the day off tomorrow to go snowboarding. I'm feeling pretty decadent. Monday is a holiday so I feel I can afford one day of hooky this week. Sorry to make the comment all about me -- I've not been blogging. I guess it means I should!

Writer Bug said...

Good for you! We all need days off!

January said...

Oh, snowboarding. Just the idea of taking the day off to do something like that sounds great.

Thanks for the b-day wishes!

Becca said...

Thanks for the link - I can't wait to check out that page.

And you're absolutely right about morning pages (or journaling) about your writing. I get more ideas while I'm in the midst of morning pages than at any other time. It's like "priming the pump" - I think that's what Julia Cameron calls it.