Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tri training and writing

So all this swimming, biking, running, and more swimming has knocked me out of any sort of writing habit. As my triathlon gets very close, I am feeling very frustrated about the fact that I have managed to fit into my weeks an absurd amount of workouts, but I cannot fit regular writing into my life with anywhere near as much intensity. I've thought about why and come up with a few theories:

1-Working out shows fairly immediate results. Within a few weeks, you lose weight, see more muscle, run faster, etc. Writing? Even with the most consistent writing practice, results (in terms of noticeable improvement or getting published) are few and far between.

2-There's much more social support for working out. I have lots of friends who will accompany me to the gym or go out for a run with me. Writing is so solitary--which I love, but which also means there's no peer pressure egging me on, and I can't kill two birds with one stone by writing while I chat with a friend I've been meaning to catch up with.

3- Similarly, there are many more people in my life who will pat me on the (sweaty) back after a workout than there are who will cheer me on for finishing a page of writing.

4-Did I mention the immediacy of results?

All that said, I am *pretty* sure that if I committed more to writing, I would see more results. So, even without the guarantee I wish I could garner from the writing fairy, I am going to commit to a writing routine in August. I'm still working out the kinks of the program, but I'm sure it will be just as grueling--and hopefully satisfying--as the tri training has been. Best Blogger Tips

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting comparison/contrast between writing and working out. I've noticed a similar situation between writing and music for me...I put lots more effort and time into my musical activities, but the rewards are more immediate and more socially supported.

Best of luck with all your endeavors!

January said...

Wow, a triathlon? You're my hero.

It's hard to focus so much intensity for long periods of time. And give yourself credit, I'm sure you were more productive as a writer this year than you think.

chicklegirl said...

I did an olympic-length tri two years ago, and I felt like it took over my life during the six months of hardcore training I did. I wound up doing most of my training early in the morning, just to try and fit everything in each day. But it was so worth it.

Good luck with your tri! You may have heard this tip elsewhere, but I highly recommend a long soak in a bath of epsom salts (2-3 cups of salts in a hot bath) within a few hours after your tri--it really helps to cut back on muscle soreness the day after.

(And thanks for stopping by my blog. I also have another blog where I do the Tuesday confessional and post some of my poetry. It's at http://rootcellar.wordpress.com)