Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Writing exercises

I'm not writing. I just don't have the energy, the drive, the desire. I've even been questioning whether I should write at all. I'm thinking about how much easier life would be if I gave up this dream and found a way to be content with my (fairly successful) work life.

But I know I'll get out of this place eventually and remember why I love writing. In the meantime, I'm going to commit to doing some writing exercises. Instead of focusing on any goal-oriented project like, say, "finish a short story", I'm just going to take writing prompts and go with them. No goal. No nothing. Just write.

I think it's a step in the right (write) direction. Best Blogger Tips

5 comments:

Michelle said...

That's exactly what I need to do.

Too much pressure = not enough production.

Anonymous said...

Great idea, Bug! Work through it without putting pressure on yourself.

Hang in there!!

DJPare said...

Jeesh! Try taking writing less seriously...

I'd probably never write again, if I spent as much time ruminating about the "craft" of writing as you do, instead of just enjoying the feeling of creating a story out of nothing.

Snap out of it, girl! :)

TI said...

I agree with you. I've noticed on some of your posts that you sometimes suggest that only working on new material or revising a short story "counts" as writing. But it's ALL writing. Blog posts are writing. Morning pages are writing. Working with prompts are writing. Keep at it, Bug. You inspire me!

TI said...

p.s I do the same thing and i really want to lose that attitude!